After the interview, don’t simply wait for an email or phone call. Be proactive and follow up. The question is: how soon do you follow up and what should you say? Here are some do’s and don’ts to put into practice and help you effectively follow up after a job interview.
How Should You Follow Up After an Interview?
Do’s to Following Up After an Interview
First and foremost, do follow up. In some cases, this can be a make or break it difference between you or another candidate. So don’t skip it. Also:
- Do send a thank you follow-up note or email to all those who interviewed you. Tailor your message to each particular individual.
- Do state the position, re-iterate your interest, and cover anything you forgot to discuss during the interview when you write to them.
- Do send an invitation to connect with each one on LinkedIn. Be sure to write a customized message for each invitation.
- Do be patient during the process. There are times when a job gets put on hold, or another priority comes up and pushes the hiring process back.
- Do continue your job search. Until you actually secure an offer, make sure you are still looking for a new job.
Don’ts to Following Up Post-Interview
Beyond these do’s, there are also some don’ts to avoid. These include:
- Don’t pester the recruiter or hiring manager every day and ask about the position.
- Don’t lash out or get angry if you don’t get the job.
- Don’t be aggressive when you reach out to follow up with an employer.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for feedback if you didn’t get the job.
These are just a few do’s and don’ts when it comes to following up after a job interview. If it sounds like the company is hiring soon, make sure you email them, so your follow up note gets into their hands as quickly as possible. However, if you have a little time and prefer a mailed note, you can also send them a handwritten letter to thank those who interviewed you for their time.
Do Get Expert Help From Our Team
If you’d like professional help finding job leads and landing your next job, turn to Future Force. As top staffing agency, serving the Orlando, Mami, and Atlanta areas, we can connect you with a rewarding role that is an excellent fit for you. We can also guide you through the process, from polishing your cover letter to preparing for interviews, following up, and more. Ready to get started? Contact us today.